"If I knew then what I know now, I would have prioritised looking after my own needs." (mind.org.uk)
One of the most important things we can do when in a position of responsibility for others, is to look after ourselves well. We have all heard the advice on airplanes about putting on our own oxygen mask before helping others with theirs, but this applies with equal importance to matters of mental and emotional wellbeing. In fact, we can only be able to meaningfully help others if we have the resources to do so.
Tips to look after yourself:
- Reduce your expectations of what you can manage to achieve each day
- You may need more breaks than normal – concentration is often affected
- Sleep issues are common and will most often resolve over time
- Consider writing or drawing your thoughts out, or other creative outlets – this can be easier than talking
- Allow yourself time away from ruminating on your thoughts – distractions can be helpful
- Identify one or two people who you trust to share things with
- Dark humour is ok!
- Self-care is essential to coping. Consider making your own self-care toolkit (see links below)
Additional Resources & Links:
*Note the cast has occasional strong language